Wednesday, May 1, 2013

White Smoke

When we were out two weeks ago I noticed white smoke in the exhaust, so I spent some time checking through the Universal 5424.


All my fluid levels were good. I cleaned the raw water strainer and found this treasure.


Not sure about that stuff on the right, but I think that thing on the left was a fish at one time.  Yuck why would you include a picture of that. 

I seemed to be getting sufficient water flow, and I don't have a spare impeller yet, so I didn't check that, and I don't have new pencil zincs for the heat exchanger, so I didn't pull those out either, but I think the cooling system is good. I'm definitely not overheating.

Unfortunately when I throttle up to around 2000 rpm it looks like I'm spraying for mosquitoes or electing a new pope.

The verdict seems to be old rings and a tired diesel. Aside from the smoke she runs fine, so I'm not sure there's anything to be done right now. I guess I'll just have to trust Freddie on that one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment